Developing Youth Voice
Thanks to support from the Social Investment Business we now offer training in embedding youth voice in your organisation. Our courses are designed for staff and young people working together and include practical activities plus useful handouts and FREE access to downloadable materials.
Our specialist areas cover Co-producing Events, Engaging Digitally, and Young Ambassadors. Get in touch to book a course with your organisation.
Why attend our training?
We offer years of practical experience plus knowledge of participation theory and lots of examples of UK-wide practice. We bring in the voice of young people and expert experience.
We’ve had participants tell us “More of this training is required across the whole arts & cultural sector!! Should be mandatory for all arts organisations“. Our work is featured in this article from Arts Professional and our approach is outlined in a downloadable resource for Arts Award.
When is training available?
Any time to suit you. Our tailored in-house programme can be delivered at your premises or through an online live video platform at a time that works for your team. We are now planning public training courses for 2020/21 so please get in touch to request one near you.
Our in-house training lasts from three to seven hours depnding on the topics you want covered. It is tailored to your circumstances and can include strategic thinking and organisational planning. We can also work with consortia or deliver shared training where the host organisation invites partners. In-house training works well for up to 18 people and ideally includes both staff and young people.
What have people thought of our training?
“A well facilitated and engaging training session – I left feeling good about youth voice in my organisation and that I can move forward with more knowledge!“
“The discussions felt genuine and meaningful“
“The trainers were very welcoming, articulate and perceptive“
“It was all really helpful“
“It was really relatable to my role and how we are going forward with our youth provision”
What can you learn in our training?
Our topics are delivered in an action learning, experiential training style – with some input from trainers, the focus is on facilitating your development and understanding of how youth voice can work best in your situation.
Developing Youth Voice
Establish an understanding of what youth voice is, recognise it within your own participation practice and feel confident explaining why you should foster youth voice in your organisation.
Take a look at how to use digital technologies for engaging young people, discuss how to do so safely and recognise the difference between marketing and participatory engagement online. This is a practical session including rich media examples.
Explore how to co-produce events and projects with young people.You’ll leave with an understanding of the value of this approach and plenty of practical examples showing the range of potential collaborative approaches.
Find out what young ambassadors can offer your organisation and discuss the benefits for young people. We’ll look at case studies, explore opportunities you identify and give you some practical skills to develop your own group.
How much is the training?
– In-house training costs from £749 + travel. Although shorter online sessions are available.
How to book?
Get in touch with us now on [email protected] for in-house training.
Why should you book?
- Our training engages professionals and young people together in a shared learning experience
- Our modules are designed to be flexible around your needs and context
- All resources are available FREE for attendees to download
- Participation helps organisations subject to Ofsted assessment to consider how to deliver high and equal expectations of their students and provide a curriculum rich with cultural capital
- Schools (and those wanting to work with schools) will understand better how to engage and address the needs of each pupil (Gatsby Benchmark 3) by supporting their voice
- If you want 1:1 support to develop your strategy or programme then we can support you through consultancy too
Who’s it for?
Anyone working with young people in their organisation, wanting to gain young people’s insights, or develop a new youth offer. Suitable for participation departments working in the arts, cultural or voluntary sectors. We encourage you to bring a young people too- ideally an apprentice, intern, young trustee or someone already involved in helping to direct projects.
Are there any pre-requisites for attendees?
As an attendee you should have some experience of young people’s projects and be keen to share and develop knowledge about embedding young people’s voice across your organisation. The same goes for young people attending the course who ideally have some influence in your organisation.
Terms of purchase:
1. No refunds can be made for no-shows and cancellations made less than 21 days before the date of training. The name of attendee(s) can change at any time.
2. Cancellations made more than 21 days before will receive a 50% refund upon request. The cancellation must be made & acknowledged in writing to [email protected] prior to this date. If you’ve not received an acknowledgement in time you may call us on 03300 881008.
3. Any young person attending training will be the responsibility of their accompanying adult. We suggest that they are aged 14-25; however you are welcome to inform us if you are bringing someone younger or older. We recommend that this young person is an apprentice in your organisation, an intern, volunteer or participant in engagement programmes within a role that can continue to work with you to develop youth voice within the organisation. Please respect the intentions of this programme and its funders by not booking a paid colleague (ie not on a training programme) for a young person’s ticket.
4. If we cancel the training day for any reason you will be informed by email at the earliest possible opportunity and a refund will be offered. If a suitable alternative date cannot be found for you we will still provide you with access to the online material.
5. All payments must be cleared at least 3 days before the training day. We can accept an official purchase order and payment of our invoice afterwards for recognised statutory authorities or organisations registered with the Charity Commission or Companies House.
6. Please be aware that we will only use your contact details to administer the course and your access to the online modules. You may be giving your details to our event booking partners to register which will then be passed to us. To continue receiving information from us please register on voicemag.uk.